In Thanchi upazila of Bandarban, more than two hundred shops and a few houses in Thanchi Bazar were burnt.
The incident took place on Monday morning.
According to the fire brigade and locals, the fire spread from an electric short circuit, in Thanchi upazila, a remote hilly area of the district. Sources confirmed, more than 200 shops, including grocery stores, clothing stores, cosmetics shops, computer shops and food shops were burn.
A few houses adjacent to the market were completely burnt down.
After receiving the news, the police, army and two units of the fire service from Bandarban district were able to bring the fire under control after a long two-hour effort.
The amount of damage caused by the fire is expected to exceed several crores taka.
Confirming the incident, Assistant Director of Bandarban Fire Service, Mohammad Kamal said that, the fire service unit went to put out the fire at 5.30 am after receiving the news.
He could not immediately say the amount of damage.